Every budding actor fresh out of a voice over training course wants to get off to a flying start. Making it big is the main focus of majority of students. However, in this profession, nothing comes easy and success takes time. That said, you will be able to stand out from the crowd with these few insider secrets. Before you enroll in a voice actor training course, you have to learn and start practicing these strategies. Here they are:
1. Microphone placement is very important. The incorrect distance can make a difference. Therefore you must get this approach right, right from the word go. A voice over training program does teach microphone placement, but a lot of students do not focus on it because they are more obsessed with their voice.
2. Whenever in studios, voice acting talents become so serious, making them stiff and eventually affects their performance. Successful voice actors would say that the profession is all about being able to relax and to have fun doing voice acting.
3. The biggest secret of the voice over industry is that every voice over actor must take care of his health. Jobs come thick and fast after the voice over training is finished and VO actors have to hurry from one session to another. Then, they are needed to stand and deliver for 5-6 hours every day and the mental and physical pace of the business gets to them. Many VO actors are weighed down by the stress and excitement and that impacts their health, acting abilities and voice. These actors must get appropriate rest, eat healthy food, learn relaxation techniques, and exercise regularly to keep going in this profession. Here’s an illustration that will help you comprehend the importance of maintaining good health: Every studio session, and there are plenty of these daily, has a different script and a different level of excitement. Every VO actor feels his heart racing as he gets ready to deliver his lines and he will feel the stress at every studio on a daily basis. Good health and self-control will help him deliver a knockout performance.
4. Voice over professionals should know that foods they eat could have a negative effect on their voice. Many of these foods are dairy products that could result to the formation of mucous; caffeine, tea, sodas, could dehydrate the body; acidic foods can contribute to the inflammation of the vocal cords, and spicy foods can just upset the throat; and many others.
5. Animation voice over is more “real” these days. Before, everything was simply cartoony. This is highly different from a voice over for commercials, wherein actors are needed to be in one particular mood all throughout. The voice actor must be able to match the vocal quality of the character that he is playing and the mood of the script would have to be followed as well.
6. The manner that we breathe would depend on our mood and not the other way round. So, every voice over actor must be able to focus on the mood that is established on the script, instead of trying to control their breathing and end up not true to the character that they depict.
These top tips from voice over training experts will help you get an insider’s view of the industry. Last but not least, never forget that in the voice over industry, every day is a new day, and you will surely find new things to learn in the profession, so just relax and have fun doing voice overs.
If you’ve ever thought about being a professional voice over actor, you are in luck. Nowadays there’s voice over training that is available on the internet to help you to get on the fast track to a career in voice overs. Together with proper voice over coaching, rehearsal and dedication, you may also become an in demand voice over artist.